Being a critic often has its downside. Sure, I get to tell everyone about their shortcomings, but after a while, it's hard not being able to enjoy mindless entertainment for what it is. For example, I'm glad that my friends can get a laugh out of Dane Cook, but for me, he wore out his welcome a long time ago. I got sick of Dave Matthews Band in 8th grade, but more power to everyone who can get through his songs anymore.
This burden follows me everywhere, though, and unfortunately, that makes it difficult for me to tolerate the environments at some of State College's finest dance atmospheres like The Cell Block or Players. When I think of dancing, I'm thinking more groove than grind, more funky than freaky. It's for this reason that I went to Chronic Town's monthly all-ages dance party Soulution on Friday night.
I understand that people might question why there's a $2 cover at a place that doesn't serve alcohol. But you can stretch that two bucks as far as you want if you like good soul, R&B, Motown or funk music. And besides the joy of getting down to James Brown, The Jackson 5, and Aretha Franklin, you can also observe a room full of pale indie kids attempting to dance while you smoke a hookah and lounge in the comfy old furniture. It's sort of like a bunch of people in their bedrooms dancing around in their underwear, but without the bedrooms or underwear. Er...with the underwear, plus more clothes.
This past Friday, it was hard to take a break from the dancing just to sit down. Every time I'd go to hang out with my friends for a bit, the DJ would start calling my name: James Brown's "Sex Machine," The Jackson 5's "ABC," Aretha Franklin's "Think," Stevie Wonder's "Signed, Sealed, Delivered," and so on. The nights usually start with some more subdued music until about halfway through the party when the funk gets turned up a few notches.
Since the events are monthly, I suppose that leaves room for only one more at the end of April. But for the crowd sick of the same old weekend grind, it's a great experience to see if you've still got soul power.